Remember those intimate moments forever.
Birth photography is a special reminder of one of the most important days of your life: your baby’s birth day.
“Hiring Kali as my birth photographer was easily one of the best decisions I made during my pregnancy. Don’t leave such a precious day up to family members and their cameras. I highly recommend hiring Kali to capture every special moment. ” -Jessica 1st-time mom
Why Hire a Birth Photographer?
Besides your wedding day, the birth of your child is one of the most important days of your Life. Hiring a birth photographer frees up your partner or other support persons and ensures you get those memorable moments images captured (with your partner in them – which cannot happen if he is behind the lens.) Without a birth photographer, you may be left with just a few camera phone pictures of the baby after delivery. I will help you to capture the amazing labor process and the incredible birth miracle!
About Birth Photography
Birth and labor are very unpredictable. These are not typical portrait sessions; the lighting is usually dim and it’s difficult to plan what’s going to happen. I will shoot glimpses of your labor and birth unfolding naturally in a photo-journal style. Being trained as a birth doula, I will be sensitive to your needs as a laboring woman; I understand my role to document quietly and unobtrusively. Many women have told me that they forgot I was even there! Being on both sides of the birth process, I also understand which special moments you may want.
I am interested in hiring you! What do I need to do?
1. First, contact me to make sure I am available for your due date. I book several months in advance, and only take a few clients a month.
2. After you hear back from me, I will hold your spot for 10 days (of course you can take longer to decide but I can’t guarantee a spot!). To secure my services, I will send you a contract for you to sign and a deposit of $350 is required. I will also send you a link to a questionnaire that will help me to know what kind of experience you are looking for.
3. We will meet up for coffee in Lindale to discuss details, get your remaining questions answered, and get to know each other. If you do not live within driving distance, we can have this meeting over the phone.
4. The remainder of your fee is due by your 36th week of pregnancy.
Birth Photography Package (plus tax) $850
- 1 complimentary interview/prenatal meeting in Lindale or north Tyler, TX. We will discuss what to expect, what moments you wish captured, etc. We can also get to know each other during this visit so that I am not a stranger at your birth. If you are not local enough to travel to Lindale, we can have the interview over the phone. I often shoot births in the Dallas area as well as deep East Texas. On-call 24/7 for 2 weeks before and after your due date (until the birth)
- Coverage of labor (starting in active labor) and birth up to 2 hours afterward
- 75-100 high-resolution digital images by instant download
- Professionally custom edited images in a mix of black & white and color
- All Web-sized watermarked images you may share online
- Custom slideshow of about 30-40 images put to music
- Extra prints and products may be ordered through me as well. Price list upon request.
- Gift Certificates are the perfect baby shower gift! They are available here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mama Matters Birth Photography
What parts of Texas do you serve?
I am available to photograph births within a 2 hour radius of Lindale, TX. A .55/mile fee (past 60 miles away from Lindale) will be added to those living outside that area.
When do you arrive for the birth and how long will you stay?
I come to your birth during active labor (around 6cm-8cm) and will stay up to 2 hours afterward.
Will photographs from my birth be posted on your website?
Yes, I do post images from the births on my website and Facebook page. However, you will be able to view your images before any of them are shared and let me know if there are any that you deem unsuitable for me to share. Only the first names of the baby will be shared on the website.
What if you don’t end up making it to my birth?
I only take a few births a month to allow me to have the greatest chance of attending each birth. If I miss your birth due to my error (ie: due to illness, attending another birth, unforeseen emergency), my back-up photographer will attend your birth. If my back-up photographer cannot attend, you will receive a complete refund. If I miss your birth because it was too fast or you did not call me in time, there is no refund and you will receive a Fresh 48 session instead.
How long will it take to receive the images?
You may expect your images in approximately 4-6 weeks, depending on my schedule.
I am concerned about “private shots”; I don’t want just a lot of graphic pictures!
Not to worry! During our interview, or through email/phone calls, we will discuss what you would like photographed and what you do not. Some women want pictures of the baby coming out, others do not. Your comfort is my top priority, so I will photograph as much or as little as you desire.
What if I have a C-Section? Can I still have a birth photographer?
If you are having a planned Cesarean birth, you will want to ask your doctor beforehand if they will allow a photographer in the operating room with you along with any other support persons you have. Many doctors do allow this! If your cesarean is unplanned, you may still ask, but it may be unlikely a photographer can go in with you. However, there are still plenty of beautiful moments to capture after the birth! I am more than happy to stay at the hospital to document those first few moments in the postpartum room, or I can come back later to photograph those sweet bonding times with your newborn.
What if I don’t want the actual labor and birth documented, but I do want pictures of those special first hours?
Introducing Fresh 48! 1-2 hour lifestyle session at your birth location (hospital, home or birth center) within 48 hours after the birth.
More examples of my Birth Photography can currently be found on my blog.